Lawang Sewu - History and Mystery in Semarang
Lawang Sewu is a leftover of an ancient building which was built in 1904. Dutch Originally this building for corporate headquarters rail (tram) Dutch colonizers or Nederlandsch Indishe Spoorweg Naatschappij (NIS). Three-story building art deco (1850-1940) is the sham of well-known Dutch architect, Prof. Jacob F Klinkhamer and BJ Queendag. Lawang Sewu is located on the east side Tugu Muda Semarang, or upon the street corner and the road Pandanaran Youth. Called Lawang Sewu (Thousand Doors), this is because the building has a approach that categorically much. In fact, the right of entry that there were going on to a thousand. This building has a lot of height and width of the window, consequently people often think of it as a door. The main building Lawang Sewu in the form of a three storey building with two wings extending to the right and left sections. like visitors enter the main building, they will find a large staircase to the second floor. among the stairs there is a huge glass shows a characterize of two youngster Dutch women are made of glass. every structures, doors and windows get used to Dutch architectural style. subsequent to all the exoticism and beauty Lawang Sewu is one pretty place to Pre Wedding.
After a long Lawang Sewu as soon as unkempt, finally Lawang Sewu attain restoration takes a long time, finally completed in late June 2011 and re-opened to the public after the date of July 5, 2011 inaugurated by First woman Ani Bambang Yudhoyono and continued subsequently goings-on Exhibition Kriya Nusantara featured products featuring usual products from every beyond the archipelago.
What is actual number of Lawang Sewu door?
As the Thousand Islands that the number of islands that are actually not until 1000, because there are lonely 342 pieces boelau only. The term "Sewu" [Java: Thousand], is a depiction of such a large number of doors. According lead mace sewu, the number of holes open counted as many as 429 pieces, once the doors of more than 1,200 (mostly log on considering two doors, and in share by using 4 doors, consisting of two entrance types substitute [hinge], help 2 the entrance is different type of sliding get into / sliding door).
The history of this building is not not speaking from the history of railways in Indonesia because it was built as Het Hoofdkantoor Van de Nederlandsch - Indische Spoorweg Maatscappij (NIS) is the headquarters of the NIS, private railway companies in the East Indies Dutch were the first to build a railway parentage in Indonesia connecting Semarang next "Vorstenlanden" (Surakarta and Yogyakarta) later than the first lines Strip Semarang Temanggung 1867. Initially administration NIS was held in Semarang station. The short addition of tissue followed by increased demand for action spread thus it was granted to construct administrative offices at the supplementary location. The option fell on home in the suburbs close the residence of the Resident Indies, at the southern stop Bodjongweg Semarang. Directors NOS accept building plans to Prof. Jacob F Klinkhamer and B.J Ouendag, architect of Amsterdam Netherlands.
Implementation of the construction started February 27, 1904 and was completed 1907. The soil upon the road should be enlarged prior to the excavation severity of 4 meters and replaced by a addition of volcanic. The first building is the end is a protect house and building printing, followed by the main building. Having used a few years, the onslaught of the office held by creating an extra building in 1916 - 1918. In 1873 the first railroad in the Indies completed. The road was built by Nederlandsch Indische Spoorweg maatschappij (NIS), a private company which got the concession from the colonial direction to affix the fertile agricultural areas in Central Java city of Semarang harbor (Durrant, 1972). The station in Semarang that was in Tambaksari not far and wide from the harbor. At the direction of the 20th century NIS build a large extra station station. In 1914 the station Tambaksari replaced by Tawang Station. Earlier in 1908 next completed a additional NIS headquarters, the building was located just next to the road Bodjong, in Wilhelmina Plein opposite the governor's residence.
NIS's other headquarters is a large building 2 floors shaped "L" meant by J.F Klinkhamer and Ouendag in the Renaissance Revival style (Sudrajat, 1991). He said the construction of the head office of NIS in Semarang is typically 2 decades of the further on 20th century past it was introduced ethical politics, in the same way as it "... Emerging needs were large acceptable for building public buildings and housing, as a repercussion of the evolve of the colonies, the decentralization of the colonial administration and the lump of private business" , Semarang resident gave him the read out "Lawang Sewu" (a thousand doors), dispatch to the entre the right of entry extremely much, yan gmerupakan architects try to build a liberal office building in accordance following a tropical climate Semarang. every the building materials were imported from Europe except brick, natural rock and teak. At the same period the young Generation Train (AMKA) tries to give a positive response the train, feat broke out along with youths and Japanese soldiers, dozens of youths killed in this building, 5 of them are buried in the yard (but in 1975 their bodies were moved to Taman Makam Pahlawan ). Lawang Sewu standing in belly of a monument to commemorate those who died in the fight of Five Days. suddenly after independence Lawang Sewu used Office Railway Company, after that the military took greater than the building, but now have returned to the hands of PT KAI.
See also related article's :
* Keraton Surakarta
* Borobudur Temple